Interior designing is a creative art that attracts students who have a flair for designing and right sense of color and texture. Students further learn how to utilize the given space for maximum functionality while keeping the client’s need in mind. In order to ensure that you receive the best education and training in interior designing, you should choose the best college or institution.
Tips to Choose the right college
There are hordes of colleges in US offering interior design courses, which make it difficult to choose. The process of choosing an interior designing college is both, confusing as well as overwhelming. Therefore a few tips compiled below will aid you in your decision making process.
- The first step is to check out the course being offered. Inquires the specializations being offered within the scope of interior designing such as office, retail, residential, hotel designing etc. You must also make sure that the coursework has a natural progression from being easy to a progression towards much harder one that will build your designing capabilities and ready you to face future challenges.
- Next you should look out for accreditation from a reputed and credible organization such as The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). The CIDA sets very high accreditation standards thus ensuring that the course work is up to date and offers the best curriculum to students. CIDA brings in experts who review and evaluate the college and its curriculum, based on which accreditation is granted. It is important to note that CIDA grants accreditation to single interior design college and its coursework. The same accreditation does not apply to its other campus, even if the curriculum is same.
- Another major factor for choosing a college is its teaching faculty. Find out if there are any notable faculty members from the industry. Experts of the field add much more credentials to the course work, thus it is advisable to choose a college who have eminent experts on the faculty board.
- Course fee structure too can affect your choice of college as you may have a pre- decided budget for the same. You can inquire what kind of financial help is given to students; whether grants, academic scholarships or student loans are provided. Such services help to make a decision better.
- Although you may like a college, its location may prove to me a deterrent. Find out where the college is located and if transportation facilities are provided. You may also inquire if the college provides hostel facilities for students.
As seen from the above information, many considerations will influence your choice of college. Only after you have done a thorough research, should you make a decision. In order to research regarding the college, you can research online, visit the campus, join in online student forums or inquire through friends. Good research will aide you in your decision making process regarding the best interior design course amongst many.